Re: Conflict between debian/upstream (DEP-12) & debian/upstream/ (uscan)

On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 12:04:29PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> Le Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 09:39:09PM -0500, James McCoy a écrit :
> >
> > That wasn't clear to me in your previous messages, which is why I
> > presumed you were wanting someone to transition the consumers of the
> > file not the files themselves.  That also seems like it's unnecessary to
> > do immediately since the consumers should be able to handle both paths
> > so the files can transition over time (as happened when
> > upstream-metadata.yaml was renamed, which still isn't complete).
>
> At least for the work done on my side, what seems suggested above is not true:
> there was not double-support for both debian/upstream-metadata.yaml and
> debian/upstream-metadata at the same time.

That was poor wording on my part.  I meant that not all packages have
renamed debian/upstream-metadata.yaml to debian/upstream in their
repository, so supporting multiple locations in the consumers is useful.
That support would also enable this transition to gradually take place
as people have need to deal with their packages.

> You are making assumptions that 1) are wrong and 2) support your views.  Please
> review them more careully, especially when they look convenient for you.

Please be less confrontational.  I'm not assuming anything.  I'm simply
attempting to explain why I think that modifying the consumers is a
simpler way to handle this than trying to adapt all of the providers
immediately.

> > If all you're concerned about is moving the files in the repositories,
> > I'll gladly do that.
>
> When will you start and when do you plan to finish ?  Just do it please.

I've put together a script to do this, using data from Andreas' gatherer
and the packages that apt-file reports as having a debian/upstream file.

That being said, I don't have access to most of the packages.  Even if I
did, it feels "dirty" to go and commit to a couple hundred packages I
have no involvement with instead of adapting two pieces of software to
deal with both path names.

Cheers,
--
James