Re: Conflict between debian/upstream (DEP-12) & debian/upstream/ (uscan)

Le Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 07:08:44AM +0800, Paul Wise a écrit :
> On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 3:11 PM, Charles Plessy wrote:
>
> > you already have commit access to the Debian Med packages, like all other
> > Debian developers.  Please go ahead !
>
> There was adoption of DEP-12 outside of Debian Med and also outside
> VCS repositories. I think it would be much better to fix the tools
> once than every package that uses DEP-12.

Hi Paul,

why not fixing devscripts instead ?  Uscan is the tool that is broken, and it
would take two minutes to fix it.  Sorry, but the burden of the work should be
on the shoulders of the one who did not check the archive contents before
starting to use a file used by others.

Bigger plans can be considered but should not be a burden to the people doing
the work currently.  This said (again), the time I can give to Debian is
unfortunately shrinking, and somebody is free to step up and replace me fully
in this “upstream metadata” project.  This is very welcome as well.  I am
lagging on other projects (mime-support, DEP website, etc.) and would love to
have more time to dedicate to them.

I encourage volunteers to even consider move the things one level up in scope
and quality, for instance by making an awesome plugin for the “next PTS”, which
will solve the problem of “debian/upstream” as a file entirely.

But as long as there are no such contributions, I see these suggestions of
increasing the complexity of our tools as welcome as the suggestion to patch
GNOME to work with Upstart, to say it bluntly.

James wrote “If all you're concerned about is moving the files in the
repositories, I'll gladly do that”.  Can we please let him do what he promised
instead of discouraging him ?

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy