Re: hacking your car

On 02/12/2014 01:26 AM, Wookey wrote:
> Anyone trying to win an argument by suggesting that changing bits of my
> car is a _bad_ thing has a very cock-eyed view of the world.

Ever heard of the German TUEV?

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technischer_%C3%9Cberwachungsverein

They will show you who is cock-eyed and, trust me, it's certainly
not them or me.

Driving a car with arbitrary modifications is illegal in most
countries. You are NOT allowed to replace anything you want
and that for a reason - safety.

> I've changed all of those bits on my cars at some point, and the fact
> that it was relatively simple to do was, and is, a good thing. I've
> never owned a car with a warranty, and as they only come with one for
> the first few years, they are not that relevant to the majority of
> vehicle ownership.

I was not talking about replacing spare parts but replacing them
with new parts. And believe me, I have been diassembling and reparing
things for 25 years of my life now :).

> Hacking is good. Replaceable parts with vaguely standard, or at least
> discoverable, interfaces is also good. This is just as true in cars as it
> is in computers. PLease don't try to tell us that hackability and fixability is bad.

No one is keeping you from hacking. You are free to do whatever you
want. The point is simply that the ability to hack Debian should not
make the life of package maintainers and average end users more
difficult.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz