Re: Upstart support for LSB headers (Two line init.d scripts? Sure, that will work!)

]] Sergey B Kirpichev

> Are you trying to sell me yet another init or do you suggest some
> alternative solution *with* Debian's sysvinit, not using
> "Should-Start/Stop: $all"?  If the first, please stop.  If
> the second - please go ahead.

No.

I'm pointing out why $all doesn't do what you want.  «$all» means «after
everything else has started» and if you have two of those, you have a
loop.  Loops are bugs.

In your particular case (and sysvinit), I'd say the admin should just
add dependencies on the monit script for the monitored services since I
don't think sysvinit support dynamically generating those dependencies
on boot. (If it does, I'm sure somebody will chime in with how to do it
for sysvinit.)

With systemd, I'd say a generator that adds After+Wants:
$monitored_services would be the right (and better) solution (this would
also solve the shutdown problem).  I assume upstart has a reasonable way
to solve this, but I'm not familiar with what it should be.

--
Tollef Fog Heen