Re: [RFH] [with fix] totally hosed init system

On Mon, 6 Jan 2014, Chow Loong Jin wrote:

> Upstart doesn't directly make use of the LSB headers -- it just calls back onto

Ah okay, thanks for this explanation!
(I’ve switched back to sysvinit for now.)

On Sat, 4 Jan 2014, Roger Leigh wrote:

> It might be safer to do something like this:

Indeed. Even worse, it has to be done repeatedly,
until insserv spews no more errors. Screen log:

root@tglase:/etc # mksh reinit
insserv: Service dbus has to be enabled to start service avahi
insserv: exiting now!
insserv: Service mountdevsubfs has to be enabled to start service bootlogd
insserv: exiting now!
insserv: Service hostname has to be enabled to start service bootlogs
insserv: exiting now!
insserv: Service checkroot has to be enabled to start service checkfs
insserv: exiting now!
insserv: Service checkroot has to be enabled to start service checkroot-bootclean
insserv: exiting now!
insserv: Service mountdevsubfs has to be enabled to start service checkroot
insserv: Service hostname has to be enabled to start service checkroot
insserv: exiting now!
insserv: Service avahi-daemon has to be enabled to start service cups-browsed
insserv: exiting now!
insserv: Service sshd has to be enabled to start service freenx_server
insserv: exiting now!
insserv: Service mountdevsubfs has to be enabled to start service hdparm
insserv: exiting now!
insserv: Service mountdevsubfs has to be enabled to start service hwclock
insserv: exiting now!
insserv: Service mountkernfs has to be enabled to start service keyboard-setup
insserv: exiting now!
insserv: Service mountdevsubfs has to be enabled to start service lvm2
insserv: exiting now!
insserv: Service mdadm-raid has to be enabled to start service mdadm
insserv: exiting now!
insserv: Service mountkernfs has to be enabled to start service mdadm-raid
insserv: exiting now!
insserv: Service mountall has to be enabled to start service mountall-bootclean
insserv: exiting now!
insserv: Service checkfs has to be enabled to start service mountall
insserv: Service checkroot-bootclean has to be enabled to start service mountall
insserv: exiting now!
insserv: Service mountkernfs has to be enabled to start service mountdevsubfs
insserv: exiting now!
insserv: Service mountnfs has to be enabled to start service mountnfs-bootclean
insserv: exiting now!
insserv: Service urandom has to be enabled to start service networking
insserv: exiting now!
insserv: Service mountdevsubfs has to be enabled to start service nvidia-kernel
insserv: exiting now!
insserv: Service udev has to be enabled to start service plymouth
insserv: exiting now!
insserv: Service networking has to be enabled to start service tarent-server
insserv: Service ifupdown has to be enabled to start service tarent-server
insserv: exiting now!
retry (y/n)? y
[...]
retry (y/n)? n
root@tglase:/etc # cat reinit
#!/bin/mksh
cd /etc
rm rc?.d/{S,K}*
typeset -l l=
while [[ $l != n ]]; do
	for x in init.d/*; do
		[[ -s $x ]] || continue
		x=${x##*/}
		[[ $x = *@(.dpkg|README|skeleton)* ]] && continue
		[[ $x = rc?(S) ]] && continue
		insserv -d "$x"
	done
	l=
	while [[ $l != @(y|n) ]]; do
		print -n "retry (y/n)? "
		read l
	done
done

Eventually, I got a bootable system back. Thank you!

bye,
//mirabilos
--
tarent solutions GmbH