Re: IPMI/LOM/DRAC/ILO/etc. (was Re: Release sprint results - team changes, auto-rm and arch status)

On Thu, 5 Dec 2013 14:32:32 +0100 (CET), Thorsten Glaser
<t.glaser@tarent.de> wrote:
>On Wed, 4 Dec 2013, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
>
>> Does it have IPMI, LOM/DRAC/ILO/some sort of remote management or is all
>> that serial console + networked power switch?  I suspect Debian would be
>
>Isn’t “serial console + networked power switch” preferable?
>
>See http://fish2.com/ipmi/ (“IPMI: Freight Train to Hell”,
>in case someone already read it, but it seems a new version,
>PDF-only for now, is out).
>
>What about the “firm”ware (software) running on these
>embedded devices? Should it not be replaced with Debian, too?

The software on the networked power switch might suffer from the same
flaws, and a networked power switch doesn't help if the device doesn't
come on with the power for some reason.

Greetings
Marc, who prefers built-in OOB management if it's on a dedicated
Ethernet