Re: virtual/alternative B-D (was Re: libtiff5 transition)

On Fri, Dec 06, 2013 at 02:38:47PM +0000, Sune Vuorela wrote:
> On 2013-12-06, Thorsten Glaser <tg@debian.org> wrote:
> > Hm indeed. Makes me wonder whether it would not be better to make
> > libtiff-dev the real package and abandon libtiffN-dev altogether.
> > (Never understood why the -dev packages need the numbers, anyway.)
> The -dev packages needs numbers if you want to have several around at
> the same time.

Also there are actually two cases: In the first one the include dir is
actually versioned and the two -dev packages are coinstallable. In the
second one you just select a newer (or older) version of the API and it
lives in the same place. Here both packages will provide the same files
and hence conflict with eachother.

The second one is so much fun as you can have two packages in the
build-dependency tree that "need" (by hardcoded Build-Depends
declaration) different -dev packages and are hence not co-installable.

So if you version your -dev package, do not install into an unversioned
place like libtiff5-dev does. :)

Kind regards
Philipp Kern