Re: Release sprint results - team changes, auto-rm and arch status

Hi,

On Mon, Dec 02, 2013 at 07:35:59PM +0000, Graham Whaley wrote:
> Hi.
>  As Aron says, the Loongson 3A boards may offer us some solution here, for
> mipsel anyhow, and maybe that offers us a mid-term solution for mips(be)
> whilst I work on other hardware options.
>  The Loongson 3A CPU patches are 'in flight' over at linux-mips.org I
> believe. We will be testing the stability of those patches on a 3.12 kernel
> hopefully this week. If we find issues, we'll work with Loongson and others
> to fix them. If we then get a set of working patches in the path to
> upstream.....?

Thanks a lot for working on that, this is greatly appreciated.

>  If this works out, my intention is to purchase three 3A motherboards to
> donate for mipsel use (2x buildd, 1x porter I'd expect?). Then *maybe* we

>From my experience with Loongson 3A two buildds would be able to cope
easily with the rate of new packages. For the porter box, I am sure
users will be very happy with a Loongson 3A ;-).

> could move one of the BCM91250 Swarm boards over from mipsel to mips(be)
> whilst I work on some other BE options?

One additional big endian Swarm would clearly help, but maybe we should
use it as a porter box, as the users currently complain it is unstable
and reboots alone. We have enough buildd power, but as one of the Octeon
is unstable and reboots alone we have to requeue packages from time to
time (which is easier than users to restart their hand build).

> I potentially have one spare 3A motherboard we could get installed and
> running pretty soon whilst I purchase more if this works out. They are the
> 'LS3A-RS780E' 3A board btw. You can find a PDF named:
> LS3A-RS780E-develop board user
> manual_V1.0.pdf<http://www.loongson.cn/dev/ftp/doc/01user%20manual/loongson3a/LS3A-RS780E-develop%20board%20user%20manual_V1.0.pdf>
> here:
> http://www.loongson.cn/dev/ftp/doc/01user%20manual/loongson3a/
>
> It is in Chinese, but the pictures show you the board layout etc. - it is
> basically a full sized PC ATX mobo with AMD chipset and 3A processor.
>
> I really wish there were a way from sw to tell which 2F CPUs had the issues
> (early revisions) and which (newer ones) do not, but afaik there is not
> (unless somebody knows differently? - some 'hidden' silicon version
> register maybe?). They would make OK mipsel porter boxes if nothing else,
> and are easily available.
>
> As to other BE board options, I'm hoping to have some news in the new year.
> Things are looking promising, but they just take time to work out.

Ok great, thanks.

Regards,
Aurelien

--
Aurelien Jarno	                        GPG: 1024D/F1BCDB73