Re: Release sprint results - team changes, auto-rm and arch status

Hi.
 As Aron says, the Loongson 3A boards may offer us some solution here, for mipsel anyhow, and maybe that offers us a mid-term solution for mips(be) whilst I work on other hardware options.
 The Loongson 3A CPU patches are 'in flight' over at linux-mips.org I believe. We will be testing the stability of those patches on a 3.12 kernel hopefully this week. If we find issues, we'll work with Loongson and others to fix them. If we then get a set of working patches in the path to upstream.....?
 If this works out, my intention is to purchase three 3A motherboards to donate for mipsel use (2x buildd, 1x porter I'd expect?). Then *maybe* we could move one of the BCM91250 Swarm boards over from mipsel to mips(be) whilst I work on some other BE options?

I potentially have one spare 3A motherboard we could get installed and running pretty soon whilst I purchase more if this works out. They are the 'LS3A-RS780E' 3A board btw. You can find a PDF named:
LS3A-RS780E-develop board user manual_V1.0.pdf
here:
http://www.loongson.cn/dev/ftp/doc/01user%20manual/loongson3a/

It is in Chinese, but the pictures show you the board layout etc. - it is basically a full sized PC ATX mobo with AMD chipset and 3A processor.

I really wish there were a way from sw to tell which 2F CPUs had the issues (early revisions) and which (newer ones) do not, but afaik there is not (unless somebody knows differently? - some 'hidden' silicon version register maybe?). They would make OK mipsel porter boxes if nothing else, and are easily available.

As to other BE board options, I'm hoping to have some news in the new year. Things are looking promising, but they just take time to work out.

 Graham

On 2 December 2013 14:40, Aurelien Jarno <aurelien@aurel32.net> wrote:
On Mon, Dec 02, 2013 at 08:22:50AM +0100, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> ]] Aurelien Jarno
>
> > Also note that the latest batches of the Loongson-2F CPUs have the bug
> > fixed.
>
> That doesn't help us when the MIPS porters seem to be unable to get us
> any reasonable machine with the bug fixed, even after repeated
> proddings.

Which bug? Loongson 2F have this NOP bug, while Loongson 2E doesn't have
it. Unfortunately for DSA, we don't have kernel support in the Debian
package for the 2E version, but it is something we are planning to work
on.

> IIRC, aba has been poking at this on and off for about six
> months, but that doesn't help us until we actually have machines racked
> and set up as porter boxes/buildds.

He has been successful in getting new faster machines, but unfortunately
the kernel support is still lacking. So we are looking for other
alternatives.

--
Aurelien Jarno                          GPG: 1024D/F1BCDB73
aurelien@aurel32.net                 http://www.aurel32.net