Re: debconf as a registry

On 2013-11-27 16:25, Bas Wijnen wrote:
> Ah yes, I hadn't thought of that.  But what is required for preseeding
> is to provide a database to debconf for one-time use.  Since there is a
> cache, it can be used for that, but there is no reason that this
> provided database has to persist after the question was asked.

1) manually configure $package using custom values
2) rm -rf /var/cache/debconf
3) DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive dpkg-reconfigure $package

The status of /etc (and anything else managed by the maintainer scripts)
should be the same after steps 1 and 3. Unfortunately I don't see how
this could be tested automatically ... step 1 is the difficult part
(someone needs to create custom preseeding for everything) :-( ... steps
2+3 could be done with minor changes to piuparts.

Andreas