Re: debconf as a registry

On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 05:13:55PM +0100, Andreas Beckmann wrote:
> 1) manually configure $package using custom values
> 2) rm -rf /var/cache/debconf
> 3) DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive dpkg-reconfigure $package
> step 1 is the difficult part (someone needs to create custom
> preseeding for everything) :-(

It would be possible to create a special frontend which noninteractively
messes up the values, but that only works if there is no input
validation, and there often is.

However, automatically changing values only for multiple choice and
boolean questions (and leaving text entries at their defaults) would
probably identify most of the packages that do it wrong.  When fixing
them, the text entries will obviously also need to be fixed.

It could also print a list of packages which have text entries and no
other inputs, so they can be checked manually; but I fear that is still
a pretty long list.

False negatives aren't really a problem here.  Finding most, or even
just many of the packages is very useful.

Thanks,
Bas