Re: debconf as a registry

* Andreas Beckmann <anbe@debian.org>, 2013-11-27, 17:13:
Ah yes, I hadn't thought of that. But what is required for preseeding is to provide a database to debconf for one-time use. Since there is a cache, it can be used for that, but there is no reason that this provided database has to persist after the question was asked.

1) manually configure $package using custom values
2) rm -rf /var/cache/debconf
3) DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive dpkg-reconfigure $package

The status of /etc (and anything else managed by the maintainer scripts) should be the same after steps 1 and 3. Unfortunately I don't see how this could be tested automatically ... step 1 is the difficult part (someone needs to create custom preseeding for everything) :-( ... steps 2+3 could be done with minor changes to piuparts.

I suggest the following test instead:

1) DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive apt-get install $package
2) rm -rf /var/cache/debconf
3) DEBIAN_PRIORITY=low apt-get install --reinstall $package

If any questions are asked in point 3, the package uses debconf as registry.

Funnily enough, debconf itself fails this test.

--
Jakub Wilk