Re: debconf as a registry

Bas Wijnen wrote:
> Debconf actively overwriting values is slightly different from it giving
> you a wrong default which it then allows you to set to the desired value
> again.  The former is overwriting, the latter is just very annoying.
>
> Then again, with debconf's priority scheme, it may well happen that the
> default is used without asking the question, so I suppose there isn't
> that much difference.

I still don't understand you, and you are still not providing any
examples, after having made an assertion that a many packages are
misusing debconf as a registry, and pointing to a faulty code search
which did not seem to find any.

> > > AFAICS, debconf shouldn't actually have a cache at all.
> >
> > It's hard to imagine that preseeding would work without it.
>
> Ah yes, I hadn't thought of that.  But what is required for preseeding
> is to provide a database to debconf for one-time use.  Since there is a
> cache, it can be used for that, but there is no reason that this
> provided database has to persist after the question was asked.

It's also needed for the config script to communicate values to the
postinst script so they can be used

--
see shy jo