Re: Status of dgit (good for NMUs and fast-forwarding Debian branches)

Ian Jackson <ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:

> If your source package contains the files, and your git tree does too,
> then you will find that debian/rules clean generates a dirty git tree.
> How do you deal with this problem at the moment ?

Generally by not running debian/rules clean in my source repository or, if
so, running git reset --hard afterwards.  Yes, it's not particularly
appealing, but it's better than the alternatives: not regenerating
upstream files that are actually build products, not having debian/rules
clean put the source package back into a functionally equivalent state as
before the build, or having to munging the upstream tarball extensively.