Re: Status of dgit (good for NMUs and fast-forwarding Debian branches)

Julien Cristau writes ("Re: Status of dgit (good for NMUs and fast-forwarding Debian branches)"):
> On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 11:43:29 +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > I should also mention a non-goal:
> >
> >  * I have no plans to support a workflow where dgit's git tree
> >    contains different contents to the source packages.
> >
> To me the tree that matters is the one after debian/rules clean, not
> dpkg-source -x.  For most of the packages I touch, a lot of files get
> removed by debian/rules clean.  Does the above mean that dgit will only
> look at the tree as extracted by dpkg-source?

Yes.  The "tree of the source package" is the what you get from
dpkg-source -x.

TBPH I think it's a bug if build followed by clean doesn't restore the
package to the state you got out of dpkg-source.  I don't want to
argue that as a policy change right now, but I don't have much
interest in adding code to dgit to better support the maintainers of
packages which are broken in this way.

You can just use git clean and git reset of course, so this doesn't
stop you using dgit.

In particular, if the package you are working with leaves droppings in
the source tree which its clean target doesn't pick up,
  dgit sbuild -wg
will use git-clean to remove them before building the source package.
So your source package won't contain the droppings.

Or do you mean that you have files in your git branch which are
removed by debian/rules clean ?  (I'm no longer ruling anything out
merely on the grounds that it would be utterly insane...)

Ian.