Re: Status of dgit (good for NMUs and fast-forwarding Debian branches)

On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 07:19:22PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Julien Cristau writes ("Re: Status of dgit (good for NMUs and fast-forwarding Debian branches)"):
> > On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 11:43:29 +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > > I should also mention a non-goal:
> > >
> > >  * I have no plans to support a workflow where dgit's git tree
> > >    contains different contents to the source packages.
> > >
> > To me the tree that matters is the one after debian/rules clean, not
> > dpkg-source -x.  For most of the packages I touch, a lot of files get
> > removed by debian/rules clean.  Does the above mean that dgit will only
> > look at the tree as extracted by dpkg-source?

> Yes.  The "tree of the source package" is the what you get from
> dpkg-source -x.

> TBPH I think it's a bug if build followed by clean doesn't restore the
> package to the state you got out of dpkg-source.  I don't want to
> argue that as a policy change right now, but I don't have much
> interest in adding code to dgit to better support the maintainers of
> packages which are broken in this way.

My understanding is that the current policy implies that the 'dpkg-source -x'
-> './debian/rules clean' -> 'dpkg-source -b' round-trip should be
idempotent for all practical purposes, just as the './debian/rules build' ->
'./debian/rules clean' round-trip should be.  So if ./debian/rules clean
does something to a checkout of your branch, then that branch seems not to
be a complete representation of the source package.

There are various reasons this might be the case - for instance,
autogenerated autotools output that you want shipped in the source package
but don't store in the repository - but these all still amount to imperfect
representations of the source package, and dgit shouldn't cater to them.
Either debian/rules clean should be fixed to not leave droppings, or if the
output is not 'droppings', it should be part of the VCS history.