Re: Status of dgit (good for NMUs and fast-forwarding Debian branches)

On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 07:02:04PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Does dpkg-source provide a way to collapse all the patches into one ?
> If so you could use that before doing dgit push, and have much the
> same effect.
>
> Or you could specify the single Debian patch in debian/options rather
> than local-options, and pick up NMUs out of git.  dgit fetch will make
> commit(s) containing the NMU changes for you, although currently
> you may end up with multiple NMUs squashed into a single git commit.
>
> Or you could simply ignore the format `3.0 (quilt)' thing entirely and
> allow it to automatically accumulate one diff per upload, and
> presumably clean it out occasionally.

There's more to "3.0 (quilt)" than just quilt:
* multiple tarballs (good)
* a way to include binaries without uuencode (good)
* upstream debian/ is nuked (sometimes good, at worst a minor waste of
  space and a minor inconvenience)

Here's one way:
rm -rf .pc debian/patches
echo single-debian-patch >>debian/source/options

The rm needs to be repeated, either in the "clean" target or perhaps by
dgit.

This turns "3.0 (quilt)" into "3.0 (sane)" and allows using version
control without having to go out of your way to work around quilt.

And since dgit is all about version control, I guess this is what you
want.

--
ᛊᚨᚾᛁᛏᚣ᛫ᛁᛊ᛫ᚠᛟᚱ᛫ᚦᛖ᛫ᚹᛖᚨᚲ