Re: Status of dgit (good for NMUs and fast-forwarding Debian branches)

Russ Allbery writes ("Re: Status of dgit (good for NMUs and fast-forwarding Debian branches)"):
> Ian Jackson <ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:
> > Or you could simply ignore the format `3.0 (quilt)' thing entirely and
> > allow it to automatically accumulate one diff per upload, and presumably
> > clean it out occasionally.
>
> I think what happens there is that the version number of the patch keeps
> changing, but for my workflow I never full-circle the built Debian package
> back to the Git repository, so there's nothing to clean out.  But the
> patch header will be wrong.

dgit push runs dpkg-source --commit and automatically generates a new
patch name and a new patch header.

NMUers not using dgit have to run dpkg-source --commit themselves.

In either case you get a _new_ patch for each upload, I think.

But really, this kind of history should be being extracted from git,
not from the source package.  The whole point of dgit is not to have
to care about the archive's (and now dpkg-source's) strange ideas
about source package formats.

Ian.