Re: Default desktop for jessie Was: Re: Debian/Wheezy general rant ...

0hi,

2013/6/6 Chow Loong Jin <hyperair@debian.org>:
> On 06/06/2013 06:54, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
>> On 2013-06-05 15:02:35 -0700 (-0700), Russ Allbery wrote:
>> [...]
>>> Did I miss anything?
>>
>> I don't understand at all how you could have missed such a prime
>> opportunity to rile up the vi vs. emacs debate while you were at
>> it... or am I showing my age?
>
> Oh, good idea. /me files a package removal request on vim. Better alternatives
> (emacs) exist, and we don't need more than one text editor around. Linux isn't
> about choice!

That's the point: setting any default software is making a choice for
others. Is Linux about that?
Someone will install a desktop? Fine. Ask him which one, not setting a
default one. THAT is a choice.

Think about it: setting a default (of any software with alternatives)
is to hide a choice. If someone uses only Debian, he's getting Gnome
all over the time, maybe he would never know that he could have a
choice.
How many window-user know that they could replace explorer.exe,
Gina.dll? If you are really into "having a choice", then you must give
the choice and not make it.

my 2 cent.

Greetings,
Björn