Re: Proposal: let???s have a GR about the init system

Hi Thorsten,

On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 05:30:03PM +0000, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
> Stefano Zacchiroli <zack <at> debian.org> writes:
> > *technical* decision is stupid.  We really need to stop thinking that
> > every single member of the Debian project, just because he/she is a DD,
> > has a clue on every single technical matter that go on in the project.
>
> This means that you just don???t vote if you don???t know about it,
> it doesn???t mean that polling among these who know is bad.

How should one decide whether to vote? What is the right level of
knowledge to vote?

I'd argue that deciding on the matter is of similar difficulty as
deciding whether one is competent enough to do so. I for one have gained
some experience with systemd, but I feel I'd need to more thoroughly
evaluate upstart and openrc. I'd rather see the TC throughly evaluate
all options and make a good decision than wasting everyone's time on
this.

Also note that the constitution encourages developers to vote. This
serves as another hint that you are trying to use this tool (GR) in the
wrong way.

Helmut