Re: Proposal: switch default desktop to xfce

> Of course, the gnome default makes adding gnome to the plot not
> currently useful. One nice side benefit of at least temporarily
> switching the default desktop to xfce would be that if a lot of people
> wanted gnome, rather than just picking it as the default, we'd see that
> reflected in the popcon data.

I saw a general survey possibly on techrepublic that alleged
reasonable data collection methods (though I don't recall how the data
was collected) suggesting that xfce was very close or overtaken Gnome
now and KDE was the most widely used desktop.

On those grounds I would therefore advocate KDE as default, however I am
not fond of the lack of modularity of KDE, whereas with xfce it is a
primary goal making users able to shape their debian for whatever
general usage easily and fast is fast on fast systems too.

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)