Pro-Action against dependency hell

What can be done to prevent rather than reacting to dependency hell all
the time. Some developers obviously get it and yet others seem to
pro-actively work in the other direction.

There was a time when it was said that this problem was finally heading
in the right direction.

There is an example that I am not clear on in terms of build
dependencies too as oppose to runtime dependencies.

epdfview depends on libqt

evince pulls in the whole of QT adding ages to the build time.

Speaking to a guy on a QT stand at an exhibition he said that he had
not heard of evince but seemed to think that evince must be using QT
wrongly.

> > Installing systemd does not magically switch your init system.
>
> It doesn't *right now*, but from [0] I conclude that it would very much
> like to do so and so possibly, in the future, will.

It would be rediculous if chattr +ias /sbin/init needed to be set
before installing systemd.

Of course a better option would be if major contributors were fighting
and not contributing to dependency hell. It really irks how
inconsiderate to others time upstream has shown itself to be when they
already have the knowledge to do it right in the first place. It makes
me wonder who educated them.

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)