Re: Proposal: let’s have a GR about the init system

Le Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 02:03:38PM +0000, Thorsten Glaser a écrit :

> Possible alternative choices for the GR would be:
>
> - switch to systemd, do not permit any other init system
>
> - switch to upstart, do not permit any other init system
>
> - switch to systemd/upstart for $subset_of_architectures,
>   permit architectures to not support the full set of init
>   systems including lowering the number of supported ones
>   down to one

Hi Thorsten,

with my experience of having proposed a GR that eventually led to a vote and a
lot of bitterness, I recommend one more option, nicknamed "rotten tomatoes",
that basically says that this GR should never have been proposed.  This is a
risky option, but at least if it loses to "further discussion", there will be
less debate on whether it is too easy to start GRs, if this one could have been
avoided, etc.  If on the other hand it wins to all other options, you will have
learned for yourself, at the expense of the other developers, that your
understanding of the situation was wrong, which is still less bad than being
left with "further discussion" only.

Currently, I would vote "rotten tomatoes".

Cheers,

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan