Re: Proposal: switch default desktop to xfce

> XFCE is short of maintainers, both upstream and debian, but 4.12 is
> expected to be released sometime in the next 6 months. That said,
> everything both debian and upstream is stable, and a number of 4.11
> "development release" packages are able to be uploaded to experimental
> if more people come onboard to help with the resultant bugs.

I built and installed 4.10 towards the end of old stable with little
problem but improvements so I don't think it would be much work. I have
no doubt I would have hit some major blockers trying to do that with
newer Gnome or KDE.

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)