Re: Proposal: switch default desktop to xfce
On 24/10/2013 17:40, Steve McIntyre wrote:
Let's change the default desktop for installation to xfce.
I'm using it happily for more than a year and it mostly works. Less
mature than Gnome 2.x, which i still miss, but powerful and functional.
* CD#1 will work again without size worries
* Smaller, simpler desktop
* Works well/better on all supported kernels (?)
* Does not depend on replacing init
* Works well with old hardware.
* Basic compositing works well.
* <please fill in here>
* Currrent version 4.10 is older than a year and the current development
is very slow: i've read many times that it mostly depends on the
cronical lack of manpower.
Even if i agree on make xfce the default desktop, i think that upstream
health is a parameter that Debian should consider evaluating this switch.
* As as a consequence of the previous point, i agree with Neil Williams
that xfce-goodies needs some love.