Re: Proposal: switch default desktop to xfce

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 02:15:02PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Also, I was not in a position to try gnome 3.4 myself at all, hardware,
> and bandwidth wise, until rather too late in the release cycle. I didn't
> see conclusive proof that gnome 3.4 was really the wrong default for
> wheezy until I started putting it on end-user machines and seeing them
> struggle with it, and then be perfectly happy when switched to xfce.
> (A few such real world tests are much more useful than a metric mutt-load
> of threads.)

I can confirm that XFCE tends to work much better than GNOME on older
hardware, and has for years.  Back when my iBook G3 was my only laptop,
I installed XFCE on it because GNOME eventually became too heavyweight.

I can also say that generally people who come from Windows and Mac OS X
tend to understand and be able to work with XFCE a little more easily
than GNOME, in my experience.  I have friends who have seen me use both,
and they have generally found GNOME Shell a bit confusing when they've
needed to use my laptop.

Finally, XFCE provides a bit more customizability out of the box than
GNOME does, or at least it did when I switched.  I distinctly remember
that there were several settings that XFCE provides in the settings
dialogs that required arcane trips through the gconf/dconf settings, if
they were there at all.  It's possible that's changed, though.