Re: tech-ctte: Decide which init system to default to in Debian.

And, since I've been informed that this was basically a contentless bug,
I'd like to frame the technical half of the question better:

Whereas:

 * the init system / pid 1 is a bit of software that multiple packages provide

 * the choice of init system also dictates which types of init scripts
   package maintainers write and maintain

 * the situation in which packages depend on a feature of systemd that's not
   dependent on pid 1 being systemd (such as dbus shutdown, or using logind)
   being run without systemd as pid1 is *not* something the systemd maintainers
   will support (fairly) is getting *more* common, and has been introduced into
   a major package (GNOME)

It is requested that the tech-ctte make a decision as to the init system
Debian shall use as the default, and make a judgement call on where the
efforts to resolve this situation shall go (patching *around* the lack
of systemd, or patching software to use systemd)

I believe this is within the ctte's jurisdiction, given 6.1 section 2.

Thanks for your consideration,
   Paul

--
 .''`.  Paul Tagliamonte <paultag@debian.org>