Re: Proposal: switch default desktop to xfce

On 2013-10-25, Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> wrote:
> Other desktop environments have similar features without requiring a
> change of init system. It was a choice by GNOME upstream and a choice

Other desktop environments either are reimplementing bits of systemd or
is having some more or less weird bugs related to some of the issues
the systemd suite is solving.

We still have anything in debian that ensures XDG_RUNTIME_DIR is set,
except the systemd+logind combination. This results in user session
daemons either trampling on each other or predictable shared filenames
or various other hackish things.

We have in KDE ktimezoned that is one of those 'gazillion daemons' that
all apps spawn and we frequently get bug reports about.
systemd+timezoned is also solving the same issue.

systemd+hostnamed is also solving issues. and it can probably save quite
some lines of code in kded.

very much of what e.g. kded does is plugging holes in the linux platform
on a quite high level.

Why not consolidate on shared code rather than having several bits
providing the similar functionality for fairly simple tasks ?

/Sune