Re: Proposal: let’s have a GR about the init system

On Fri, 25 Oct 2013 14:03:38 +0000 (UTC)
Thorsten Glaser <tg@mirbsd.de> wrote:

> Christoph Anton Mitterer <calestyo <at> scientia.net> writes:
>
> > Let the war begin... ;)
>
> I’m looking for someone to help me formulate a GR (since I know
> I’m not good in formulating things that don’t offend anyone, and
> in English) that states that Debian will support several init
> systems (sysvinit with sysv-rc, with file-rc, possibly OpenRC,
> systemd, upstart) and offer the choice which to use to all of
> its users.
>
> Let’s GR it. This flamewarring on the mailing list is getting
> ridiculous, and it’s clear that this becomes a root of issues
> that spread into other issues (like the desktop environment)
> that need a decision.
>
> Possible alternative choices for the GR would be:
>
> - switch to systemd, do not permit any other init system
>
> - switch to upstart, do not permit any other init system
>
> - switch to systemd/upstart for $subset_of_architectures,
>   permit architectures to not support the full set of init
>   systems including lowering the number of supported ones
>   down to one

... only if the unsupported init systems use features not available on
the architecture. This would effectively become a "linux | !linux"
question and all architectures supporting the same kernel would be
expected to have the same init support? If so, the selection is purely
down to the architecture list of the init package concerned. Let's not
make room for individual porter teams to have the burden of the
decision about which of the working init systems they chose for their
arch and re-igniting this flame war in a subset of architectures at
some point in the future. If we're going to offer multi-support in the
GR, then the same rules should apply as do to the rest of the packages -
if the arch can support it, the arch cannot unilaterally break it or
ignore it, neither can the package "choose" to ignore bugs or fixes
related to that arch.

So that option becomes:

 - adopt both systemd and upstart for all architectures for which the
   package can be supported, implement support for migrating between
   init systems and require that each init system supports migration in
   each direction.

As with all GR's there always has to be:

 - Further discussion

Not sure whether to add:

 - no change, do not support either systemd or upstart.

--

Neil Williams