Re: Two new DNS virtual packages (authoritative-name-server & recursive-name-server)

On Tue, Oct 22, 2013, at 15:52, Jonathan Dowland wrote:

> At risk of coming across as a bikeshedder,
>
> On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 03:43:03PM +0200, Ondřej Surý wrote:
> > authoritative-name-server - authoritative domain name server
> > recursive-name-server - recursive domain name server
>
> Is there a need to distinguish between "name server" and "domain name
> server"? (I'm just thinking of things like NSS, or directory servers
> that serve names…) Is the acronym DNS sufficiently well understood? If
> so, would the following address this issue:
>
> authoritative-dns-server
> recursive-dns-server

I think that the terminology for (at least) authoritative name server is
quite clear:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Name_server

We might discuss whether recursive-name-server or caching-name-server
would be better match, but I think that not all recursive name server
has to be caching, but all caching name server has to be recursive. And
the IETF (at least the DNSSEC RFC) terminology uses "resolver" as the
term which is pretty close match to "recursive name server".

O.
--
Ondřej Surý <ondrej@sury.org>
Knot DNS (https://www.knot-dns.cz/) – a high-performance DNS server