Re: Submitting a package

On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 12:59 PM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
<glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
> Hi Shawn!
>
> On 10/18/2013 05:54 PM, shawn wilson wrote:
>> Can someone give feadback as to anything that should be corrected in
>> this package or submit it upstream?
>
> You might want to start with the "Debian New Maintainer' Guide" [1].

I forgot to read that doc (saw it mentioned and then forgot) thanks.

> Basically, what you have to do first is getting to know how packaging
> in Debian works in general and what standards packages have to adhere
> to.

I think I basically did this in the attached package?

> For example, a package must have a proper Debian copyright file which
> lists the licenses of all program code components in the package. This
> is necessary to make it easy for everyone who uses and - more
> importantly - redistributes the package to know under what terms use
> and redistribution are possible. The copyright file has to list all
> copyright holders and account for possible different licenses for
> different code components (e.g., some code in your package might
> be GPL-2 while other parts might be covered by the MIT license).

I probably didn't do this :( Though the license is proprietary
(basically says 'use at your own risk and don't blame me for damage')
so I'm not sure what to call that?

> Furthermore, the package needs a proper control file which sets a
> package dependencies, its supported architectures, short and
> long description, section (for example, "sound"), distribution
> (main, contrib or non-free), maintainer name, homepage and
> so on.

Hmmm, I got most of thist. I noticed most fields are optional. I guess
every field that can be filled in should....

> There are many other files which go into the debian directory
> depending on the type of package and there is probably more
> to say on that that I could fit into such an email.
>
> I recommend starting to read some documentation for newbies
> and trying to get your first proper package built. If you need
> feedback and help on that, you should resort to the mailing
> list and IRC channel of Debian Mentors.

I noticed there was a #debian-dev channel on freenode that said invite
only. Is there another non-invite -dev channel?