Re: Debian XDG basedir compliance

On Sat, Oct 12, 2013 at 4:10 AM, Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> wrote:
> To add on to what Lars said, users still often use the same home directory
> on multiple systems (via NFS, AFS, etc.) and expect, when running the same
> application on different systems, for programs to find their configuration
> files in the same places.  The FHS doesn't pose the same issue, since
> those directories are generally (albeit not always) local to each system.

Good point, although for me this is a good argument for the opposite
of what you intend.

I want to be able to share my homes, but i do not want to share
configurations. Different versions of programs behave differently.

With XDG I can separate my data from my configuration. Thats it, i can
have my pdfs and photos and downloads separated from my configuration.

You could argue that I could have a directory under my Desktop called
stuff, to pour my personal data only there and treat that separately.
I much rather go with the standard :)

Greets