Debian XDG basedir compliance

Hi,

for one of my packages (astropy), I am currently in discussion with
upstream on whether the XDG rules shoule be applied [1]. I am arguing
there that for a new software, it would be better to follow this
standard.

The XDG basedir specification [2] basically defines where user specific
configuration files, data, and cache files should be placed.

However, I found that a lot of software on Debian seems to be not XDG
compliant yet, and I am wondering if there is any attempt to change
this. XDG compliant seem to be mostly GUI oriented programs (like LO,
VLC or the desktop environments), while classic command line programs
(with the shells on first place) seem to ignore the standard.

What are the status, the pros and cons here? Is there an attempt to get
the XDG somehow into the Debian policy?

Best regards

Ole

[1] https://groups.google.com/d/msg/astropy-dev/YiTZl43CAg8/AwSZSONpQdcJ