Re: Debian XDG basedir compliance

Lars Wirzenius <liw@liw.fi> writes:
> Having Debian versions of the programs differ in this from everyone
> else would create a lot of confusion, and needlessly cause everyone
> more support burden than is needed.

Isn't that the same case with the FHS?

To bring an example here from my ongoing packaging projects: IRAF [1]
uses /iraf/ as the root path for its directory structure as standard,
and they are probably not going to change this. So, with Debian
deviating from everyone else here would probably also create a lot of
confusion; however I will ofcourse obey the policy here.

Also, the XDG is made to *unify* the structure, not just between
programs, but also between (Desktop Linux/Unix) platforms.

> Please do contribute to any upstream projects that interest you to add
> support for XDG, but don't try to make it mandatory in Debian.

I don't mean it as a strong requirement (yet); but couldn't this be
included in the policy as recommendation and/or goal?

Best regards

Ole

[1] http://bugs.debian.org/690531