Re: Debian XDG basedir compliance

debian-devel@liska.ath.cx (Olе Streicher) writes:
> Lars Wirzenius <liw@liw.fi> writes:

>> Having Debian versions of the programs differ in this from everyone
>> else would create a lot of confusion, and needlessly cause everyone
>> more support burden than is needed.

> Isn't that the same case with the FHS?

To add on to what Lars said, users still often use the same home directory
on multiple systems (via NFS, AFS, etc.) and expect, when running the same
application on different systems, for programs to find their configuration
files in the same places.  The FHS doesn't pose the same issue, since
those directories are generally (albeit not always) local to each system.

> I don't mean it as a strong requirement (yet); but couldn't this be
> included in the policy as recommendation and/or goal?

I don't think it's appropriate for Policy because it isn't something that
Debian can do at the packaging level.  It would, however, be appropriate
for the guide for what upstreams should do to help their software work
well on Debian.  I think that's maintained on the wiki, although I forget
where.