Re: First autoremovals happen in about 8 days

On 08/10/13 at 19:36 +0000, Bill Allombert wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 08, 2013 at 07:58:03AM +0100, Neil Williams wrote:
> > rc-alert has existed for quite some time and it gets the alert in
> > *ahead* of package removal. It alerts users to the real problem - the
> > RC BUG!
>
> Did you try to run rc-alert recently ? The output is totally overwhelming
> for something that is to run on several computers and several times by
> month. Most of the bugs are reported against important packages that cannot
> be removed anyway. This do not give good clue about packages that could be
> NMUed with positive effect. The removal list is much more useful in this
> regard, if only because once a package is removed, the maintainer can hardly
> complain about a NMU.

I agree that we could use more visibility for packages removed from
testing due to RC bugs, or packages that are going to be removed from
testing.

This is something that could easily be implemented in how-can-i-help[1].
I've filed #725819 to remember about it.

Lucas

[1] how-can-i-help's description: how-can-i-help hooks into APT to list
opportunities for contributions to Debian (orphaned packages, bugs
tagged 'gift') for packages installed locally, after each APT
invocation. It can also be invoked directly, and then lists all
opportunities for contribution (not just the new ones).