Re: First autoremovals happen in about 8 days

On Mon, 7 Oct 2013 22:04:21 +0000
Bill Allombert <ballombe@debian.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 06, 2013 at 09:52:17AM +0200, Niels Thykier wrote:
> >
> > This is a friendly reminder.  If you are listed below, then the
> > listed packages of yours will be automatically removed from testing
> > within 15 days.  The "first batch" of automatic removals will
> > happen in about 8 days.
> >
> > Please remember that "fixing" your RC bug(s) can sometimes be as
> > simple as correcting the metadata of the bugs (see also #725321[0])
> > or (where inflated) downgrade the severity of the bug.
> >
> > This mail was a "one-time public service annoucement"; I *do not*
> > intend to send out "reminders" in the future.  Remember that you can
> > pull the same data from [1] or [2].
>
> I am concerned that in the event a package is removed from testing,
> the people most interested with restoring the package will miss the
> removal, since the package will stay installed on their systems.
> This, then, cause stable releases to be missing packages that users
> are depending on, which reduce the value of the distribution.

rc-alert has existed for quite some time and it gets the alert in
*ahead* of package removal. It alerts users to the real problem - the
RC BUG!

$ man 1 rc-alert

rc-alert - check for installed packages with release-critical bugs

Yes, it's in devscripts but publicising that the best way to install
devscripts is with the --no-install-recommends option to apt-get is all
that's needed to cover that issue.

I'm more concerned with this assumption:

> the people most interested with restoring the package will miss the
> removal, since the package will stay installed on their systems.

The people with the package installed are those most interested in
"restoring" the package? Honestly? By restoring, I assume you simply
mean "ignore the RC issue - seeing as nobody seems to care to fix it -
and give me a broken package so that I don't have to do anything."

The removal is not the problem, it's the consequence.

The RC bug is the problem, it is *that* which people who care about
the package need to be made aware. The removal is simply one way to fix
the RC bug. Those who may care about avoiding the removal must fix the
bug some other way.

Don't panic about the symptom, fix the cause.

(A huge thank you to Niels for doing this task - he really does not
deserve to be taking all the flak as the messenger.)

--

Neil Williams