Re: First autoremovals happen in about 8 days

On Tue, Oct 08, 2013 at 07:58:03AM +0100, Neil Williams wrote:
> rc-alert has existed for quite some time and it gets the alert in
> *ahead* of package removal. It alerts users to the real problem - the
> RC BUG!

Did you try to run rc-alert recently ? The output is totally overwhelming
for something that is to run on several computers and several times by
month. Most of the bugs are reported against important packages that cannot
be removed anyway. This do not give good clue about packages that could be
NMUed with positive effect. The removal list is much more useful in this
regard, if only because once a package is removed, the maintainer can hardly
complain about a NMU.

> The people with the package installed are those most interested in
> "restoring" the package? Honestly? By restoring, I assume you simply
> mean "ignore the RC issue - seeing as nobody seems to care to fix it -
> and give me a broken package so that I don't have to do anything."

I am not sure how you justify your assumption.
At least, my assumption is that people using a package are more interested by
its availabilty that people that do not use it.

> (A huge thank you to Niels for doing this task - he really does not
> deserve to be taking all the flak as the messenger.)

If you refer to my email, then you completly missed its purpose (to encourage
Niels to continue to post the list of removal to this list).

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.