Re: Replacing a binary package by another one(was: Communication issue?)
- To: Peter Samuelson <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Cc: Norbert Preining <email@example.com>, David Prévot <firstname.lastname@example.org>, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
- Subject: Re: Replacing a binary package by another one(was: Communication issue?)
- From: Steve Langasek <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2013 11:13:40 -0700
- Message-id: <20130904181340.GC17412@virgil.dodds.net>
- Mail-followup-to: Peter Samuelson <email@example.com>, Norbert Preining <firstname.lastname@example.org>, David Prévot <email@example.com>, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
- In-reply-to: <20130904175546.GE6147@p12n.org>
- References: <20130903061002.GC29743@gamma.logic.tuwien.ac.at> <52258A41.email@example.com> <20130903073701.GB31322@gamma.logic.tuwien.ac.at> <5226433B.firstname.lastname@example.org> <20130903231946.GA26080@gamma.logic.tuwien.ac.at> <20130903234245.GC6147@p12n.org> <20130904012639.GE27869@gamma.logic.tuwien.ac.at> <20130904014326.GD6147@p12n.org> <20130904015741.GF27869@gamma.logic.tuwien.ac.at> <20130904175546.GE6147@p12n.org>
On Wed, Sep 04, 2013 at 12:55:46PM -0500, Peter Samuelson wrote:
> [Norbert Preining]
> > On Di, 03 Sep 2013, Peter Samuelson wrote:
> > > texlive-lang-european? It doesn't look like it to me (no Breaks or
> > > Conflicts), but I haven't actually tried it.
> > conflicts there are, texlive-base conflicts with all the old packages.
> I misspoke. There is a Conflicts in texlive-base, but what is probably
> needed is Provides in texlive-lang-european. As I understand it, that
> will prompt apt to DTRT on upgrade.
Unless apt has gotten smarter recently (which is not out of the question),
no. It's a common misconception that apt will care about Provides/Replaces
for selecting new packages on dist-upgrade, but while it seems like a nice
idea, TTBOMK it's never been implemented.
Steve Langasek Give me a lever long enough and a Free OS
Debian Developer to set it on, and I can move the world.
Ubuntu Developer http://www.debian.org/
Description: Digital signature