Re: Replacing a binary package by another one(was: Communication issue?)

Hi David,

On Di, 03 Sep 2013, David Prévot wrote:
> I was directly proposing that, instead of silently removing the
> texlive-lang-danish — and at least texlive-lang-norwegian — binary
> packages, they could be added back as dummy transitional packages

I understood your proposal, of course. Still, since there are no rdepends
besides very few (1?) build-depends on these two packages, I consider
it a a waste of resources.

I repeat my point, these changes happen on major upgrades. If many
packages are concerned, a mass bug filing is the way to go. Since
we are talking about *one* package that in addition is extremly simple
to fix, I don't consider it useful or necessary to provide transitional
packages. dist-upgrade will remove these packages during upgrade from
stable to next-stable, so nothing to worry.

> I’ve witnessed many such transitions, they even usually are kept in the
> following stable release (so stable-to-stable upgrades are not too
> disruptive for those third parties, and our users). I failed to come up

Nothing disruptive here, dist-upgrade removes conflicting packages
that have no dependencies anymore.

Norbert