Re: Dreamhost dumps Debian

> "Upgrading is easy" is not really a valid retort. Though it does mitigate
> the cost, it does not eliminate it. Nobody wants to spend their automation
> budget on making upgrading easy enough to do on a whim. There are plenty
> of other concerns that automation must address that have nothing to do
> with this problem.

Still completely disagree, spending a little to save lots in the future
is always a good thing.

> Upgrading every 2 years vs. every 4 with more predictable time lines is
> quite obviously less desirable. Lets not forget that there is a bigger
> overlap (3 years) between Ubuntu LTS's, so when 14.04 comes out, they
> can start the move off 12.04, but they have _three years_ to complete it,
> which also means more time to report bugs and get them fixed in Ubuntu,
> etc. And if 16.04 comes around and they still have 12.04 kicking around
> in some dark corners, they have another year to finish that.

That might well have something to do with it or as already mentioned
more kernels or tested kernel configurations in the repo like 3.8

> > OTOH reducing staff for 4 years rather than two in a highly competitive
> > hosting market to reduce costs may be important but if they are
> > installing the way suggested then they are far far from that and
> > frankly I wouldn't use them if they are installing like users do for a
> > few machines as that doesn't reflect competence and bad practice
> > shouldn't affect debian's processes so perhaps some more details are
> > required as to why they do things in a way that makes the 5 year cycle
> > matter.
>
> Your logic has a pretty big hole in it. Who said they would have to
> increase staff to get the upgrade done?

Not really, assuming they have the most streamlined business to be as
competitive as possible then that is certain if that's not the case
then that removes the possibility of the cycle time being a problem in
this particular regard.

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)