Re: Custom Reload command/signal in upstart

> On Aug 23, 2013, at 8:45 PM, James McCoy <jamessan@debian.org> wrote:
> >
> >> On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 04:42:15PM -0400, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> >> Imagine there is a vulnerability in SSH which has not been fixed
> >> yet for whatever reason. Having SSH run in this situation all the
> >> time would make the machine a target for possible attacks.
> >
> > If all I have to do is make a connection to port 22 to start the
> > service, which would happen as part of an attack anyway, then there's no
> > added security provided by socket activation.
>
> True. But you could have SSH listen on a different port to avoid such an attack, couldn't you?
>
> Also, I remember there was a 'knockd', which would open the port for SSH when you send a certain sequence of packets to the host.

So your going to add knockd a less audited process in to the mix and
have more code which includes more bugs when you could just use pubkey
or the recently added dual auth.

Or you don't and when they connect the attacker gets to choose and
maybe retry when more code and priviledged operations are carried out.

Daemons are tested completely but actually more fully audited and
tested once initialised.

Also if you are monitoring a system I would rather see the mem usage
and that any spikes include the default potential and that many spikes
can not be initiated all at once.

Like much of systemd it may seem impressive at first on the face of it
but actually holds little value or doing what are already optional
functions and has not been thought through or come from any great
experience.

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)