Re: Longer maintainance for (former) stable releases of Debian (Re: Dreamhost dumps Debian)

On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 09:31:06AM +0200, Mike Gabriel wrote:
> Hi Charles,
>
> On Di 20 Aug 2013 02:04:40 CEST Charles Plessy wrote:
>
> >Altogether, it is a lot of work, but if we have enough people for
> >doing it, think that it would be very positive for us.
>
> /me raises his hand for giving his work for longer maintainance of
> former Debian stable releases. For customer sites 2.5yrs + 1yr
> stable/oldstable does not suffice.
>
> Regards,
> Mike
>

> --
>
> DAS-NETZWERKTEAM
> mike gabriel, herweg 7, 24357 fleckeby
> fon: +49 (1520) 1976 148
>
> GnuPG Key ID 0x25771B31
> mail: mike.gabriel@das-netzwerkteam.de, http://das-netzwerkteam.de
>
> freeBusy:
> https://mail.das-netzwerkteam.de/freebusy/m.gabriel%40das-netzwerkteam.de.xfb

Depends: it's quite feasible to move between Debian stable releases without a problem. That gives you 2 years + a year to switch over
+ 2 years + a year - then your hardware's five year lifecycle is up and you're throwing it away.

Red Hat Enterprise Linux will give you 10 years fully supported - but relatively little software and you end up having to use
EPEL / Repoforge / RPMForge .... all unsupported repositories just to get software that's there out of the box in Debian.

Ubuntu LTS - five years support but presumes nothing changes and you then find huge problems moving to the next LTS because the
intervening releases have disappeared  ...

Debian's not so bad at all - especially considering that it's an all volunteer organisation: it's certainly stable enough to use
anywhere for any purpose.

AndyC