Re: Survey answers part 3: systemd is not portable and what this means for our ports

 ❦ 21 juillet 2013 23:48 CEST, Roger Leigh <rleigh@codelibre.net> :

>> > Making the switch away from the entrenched sysvinit is visibly very
>> > difficult, at least as a social matter, even in the environment we have.
>> > systemd et al., by virtue of the integration which is apparently one of
>> > their selling points and the "proprietary"[0] interfaces they seem to
>> > use, look like they would create an environment where a similar switch
>> > to "whatever comes next" would be even harder - at least partly as a
>> > technical matter, rather than a social one.
>>
>> Hey guys, I know this “Linux” thing is better than Minix, but it brings
>> a lot of new features that we will be growing accustomed to. If we ever
>> want to switch to Hurd one day, this is going to be much more
>> complicated.
>>
>> This has to be one of the most twisted and bad faith arguments I ever
>> heard in a situation of change resistance.
>
> Not at all.  If we're looking a bit further ahead than just the
> immediate discussion, then this is an legitimate concern.  We don't
> want to paint ourselves into a corner we can't get out of.  With
> the features and interfaces systemd offers, asking the question of
> how we can move to something else in the future is entirely
> reasonable, since it's quite likely that the answer would be that
> it would be difficult and painful once it became pervasive and
> entrenched.  We would be effectively "locked in".

We are currently "locked in" with an old and ineffective init system. It
would be better to be "locked in" by something more modern.
--
Replace repetitive expressions by calls to a common function.