Re: Survey answers part 3: systemd is not portable and what this means for our ports

On Thu, July 18, 2013 09:15, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>> - Fast startup
>
> I thought everyone claimed (including systemd supporters) that this was
> a "teenager side effect" which we didn't care much about.

Definitely not. Debian should care about fast boot a lot. Rebooting a
system, planned or not, is downtime. If we can reduce the amount of
downtime that Debian systems experience, that is a big win.

Someone mentioned server POST that take minutes of boot time anyway. True.
However, this ignores that the world and their dog are moving to virtual
machines en masse for hosting their services. The boot times of vm's are
negligible and we now have many systems rebooting in < 1 min. This is a
very big advantage for professional and large scale installations, and the
more that time is reduced, the more advantageous it will be for these
users.

Cheers,
Thijs