Re: Survey answers part 3: systemd is not portable and what this means for our ports

2013/7/19 Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org>:
> John Paul Adrian Glaubitz <glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de> writes:
>
>> Popcon however speaks a completely different language:
>
>>> http://qa.debian.org/popcon.php?package=upstart
>>> http://qa.debian.org/popcon.php?package=systemd
>
>> Currently 64 counted installations for upstart versus 1604 counted
>> installations for systemd with a significant drop for upstart shortly
>> after it surged just when upstart in Debian was updated to 1.6.
>
> I believe the equivalent systemd package to the upstart package is the
> systemd-sysv package, so 174 rather than 1604 is perhaps the better number
> to use.
This is just for people who dropped SysV-Init for systemd, since
systemd-sysv provides compatibility symlinks for a sd-only install.
People who tried systemd will obviously need the systemd package (and
then adjust GRUB to boot using sd).
So, 1604 would be a valid number.
(But I also don't understand the massive drop in upstart installs -
did something happen?)
Cheers,
    Matthias