Re: Survey answers part 3: systemd is not portable and what this means for our ports

On 07/14/2013 01:09 PM, David Kalnischkies wrote:
At least I am seriously expecting that Debian isn't discarding the outcome
of a project it has officially endorsed to be under its umbrella for GSoC
without even the slightest bit of consideration.

I didn't know that someone is working on OpenRC under the umbrella of GSoC. Don't make any assumptions, please.

GSoC in Debian was announced a long time ago, enough time to raise
any objections against any proposed project. Either this wasn't done or
it wasn't done loud enough as the OpenRC project was accepted and is now
being worked on by a student, so its too late to voice any concerns now
as this is just slapping the student right across the face. Its at least
nothing I would do while trying to hook a student to continue working
in/on Debian even long after a specific project is done (and GSoC ended).

Well, if I had known it, I'd have voted against it. And, I am sorry, but just because a GSoC student is working on OpenRC in Debian doesn't make it any more appealing or sensible in my eyes.

If we made decisions based on this fact, Hurd would have to be a
release kernel by now.

Feel free to evaluate (any project) after it is finished and draw your
conclusions from that (for the specific project, GSoC in general, …),
but don't complaining about it without even trying.

As I said before, this whole OpenRC in Debian has been announced almost over a year ago, yet there isn't any fully working implementation while systemd is already in production use.

Last I heard, that was exactly systemd fanbase complain: that everyone
just complained without even trying it based on hearsay.
So, lets try "leading by example", shall we?

There is no systemd fanbase. I am not favoring systemd because I like Lennart or because I think the name is cool, but because systemd is objectively the far superior solution developed by experienced developers.

Debian isn't a toy project, it's supposed to be used on production systems.

These issues are fixable, and I have a good hope that it will happen
before the end of the GSoC project. And there's also upstart as a quite
realistic option too.

The difference is, however, systemd is already there […]

It is not "already there".
That was the whole freaking point of this "survey".

You can install and use it. It's unfortunately just horribly outdated in Debian for whatever reason I still don't know of.

There is still enough time for anythings fanbase to bash each other.
Just avoid beating new contributors in the process who might not have
developed a thick enough skin just yet.

Could you please leave the "fan base" accusations out of here? I am not a fan, I don't care about what init system we are using as long it's the best solution.

David Kalnischkies, who couldn't care less about init systems^W^W"System and
Service Managers" so try to avoid putting him in some fanbase camp please.

You don't sound like you're not biased, however.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz