Re: Survey answers part 3: systemd is not portable and what this means for our ports

On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 2:38 PM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
<glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
> On 07/14/2013 01:09 PM, David Kalnischkies wrote:
>>
>> At least I am seriously expecting that Debian isn't discarding the outcome
>> of a project it has officially endorsed to be under its umbrella for GSoC
>> without even the slightest bit of consideration.
>

> I didn't know that someone is working on OpenRC under the umbrella of GSoC.
> Don't make any assumptions, please.

I am sorry, but I figured that because Thomas was talking about this project
with the keyword Debian and GSoC in his mail that this would be known.

>> Last I heard, that was exactly systemd fanbase complain: that everyone
>> just complained without even trying it based on hearsay.
>> So, lets try "leading by example", shall we?
>

> There is no systemd fanbase. I am not favoring systemd because I like
> Lennart or because I think the name is cool, but because systemd is
> objectively the far superior solution developed by experienced developers.
>
> Debian isn't a toy project, it's supposed to be used on production systems.

The benefit of being the "objectively far superior solution" is that you don't
need to be scared of competing with inferior solutions, as you will always
win in Debian. No name calling, no politics, no popularity contest, just pure
clear objective facts everyone can validate by trying it out.

If the student delivers a project which can be evaluated for its technical
merits, we have won a lot, as this automatically shuts up every "what if
we adapted this to our needs" …
That path was explored, it didn't prove useful because … kthxbye.
A lot better than trying to argue with not objective arguments.

I am not going to comment the other parts as I assume it is not meant to be
commented – especially as your second to last sentence suggests that we
actually have the same goal and just approach it differently.
I am suggesting to read about GSoC (and similar) in Debian though.

Best regards

David Kalnischkies