Re: Survey answers part 3: systemd is not portable and what this means for our ports

On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 02:38:02PM +0200, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> On 07/14/2013 01:09 PM, David Kalnischkies wrote:
> >At least I am seriously expecting that Debian isn't discarding the outcome
> >of a project it has officially endorsed to be under its umbrella for GSoC
> >without even the slightest bit of consideration.
>
> I didn't know that someone is working on OpenRC under the umbrella
> of GSoC. Don't make any assumptions, please.

There was a mail to d-d-a. (20130529003844.GA5280@loki.localdomain)
surely you read d-d-a :)

> >GSoC in Debian was announced a long time ago, enough time to raise
> >any objections against any proposed project. Either this wasn't done or
> >it wasn't done loud enough as the OpenRC project was accepted and is now
> >being worked on by a student, so its too late to voice any concerns now
> >as this is just slapping the student right across the face. Its at least
> >nothing I would do while trying to hook a student to continue working
> >in/on Debian even long after a specific project is done (and GSoC ended).
>
> Well, if I had known it, I'd have voted against it. And, I am sorry,

To quote another DD I respect a great deal: "This is not a fucking
vote". They had a sane project that had a great chance of improving
Debian, and gives us options.

It's also about the *student*. We want more contributors. Why throw away
someone willing to do great work within Debian?

> but just because a GSoC student is working on OpenRC in Debian
> doesn't make it any more appealing or sensible in my eyes.

It gives us an option.

[...]

Cheers,
  Paul