Re: boot ordering and resolvconf

]] Don Armstrong

> On Tue, 02 Jul 2013, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> > Automatic processes overwrite explicit admin setups.
>
> If /etc/resolv.conf is a symlink to somewhere else, then it's
> appropriate for automatic processes to override it by writing to
> "somewhere else". If it's not a symlink, then it shouldn't be
> overridden.

Does that mean it's an RC bug for any non-manual process to overwrite
it?  I'd be happy to file bugs.

> > It seems resolvconf wants to get its name servers from
> > /etc/network/interfaces?
>
> Resolvconf can get its nameservers from anywhere that calls
>
> echo 'namserver information'|resolvconf -a interface.program;

If I do that by hand, that information will never ever be overwritten by
dhclient, NM, openvpn or tools, and it persists through reboots?

> > Also, I don't think updating files in /etc at runtime is a sensible
> > idea, it should be possible to run with / read-only if you want to.
>
> Yes, which is exactly why resolvconf doesn't update /etc during normal
> operation.

Ok, good, that's different from the behaviour I've seen in the past, but
if that's fixd, that's great.

> > I specified that: settings are overridden, the file in /run is not
> > masked. Whether you want to append the nameserver list or override the
> > one from /run should probably be specified. I'd say override, since
> > appending can easily lead to security breaches.
>
> The only difference here between using resolvconf and this setup is that
> instead of having the configuration be specified in the /etc/resolv.conf
> file or symlink, it's specified in the resolver.

Not sure what you eman by «resolver»?  (To me, that's the C code inside
glibc that does the actual lookup, which doesn't really fit what you're
describing.)

--
Tollef Fog Heen